- "Often we see a couple who has separated or divorced and look with sadness at the ‘failure’ of their relationship. But if both people learned what they were meant to learn, then that relationship was a success."
- Marianne Williamson"There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won’t anymore, and who always will. So don’t worry about people from your past, there’s a reason they didn’t make it to your future."
- Adam Lindsay Gordon
Subscribe by Email
Lemonade Divorce Sections & Articles
- About Alison
- Alison’s Divorce Toolbox
- Inspirational Essays, Poems, and Other Resources
- Legal Articles and Information
- So You’re Getting a Divorce: Three Steps for a Smooth Start
- The Divorce Doc’s 12 Steps for Divorce
- The Silver Lining of Divorce
- Ask the Divorce Doc – Q&A
- Contact Me
- Divorce Doc Workshops
- For Children
- My Mission
Category Archives: Blog Entries
By Alison Patton | Published: March 31, 2013
We have four cats—all hunters who, despite the bell we affix to their collars, regularly bring us catches from the canyon: mice, rats, birds, lizards, even an occasional baby rabbit and King snake. As early as six-years old, my kids became adept at either rescuing a still-live animal from the cat’s mouth (which they’d release [...]
By Alison Patton | Published: November 22, 2012
I am reminded of a quote by Matt Groening (creator of The Simpsons): “Families are about love overcoming emotional torture.” (And this applies whether you’re married, separated, divorced or single.) Good luck and hang in there!
By Alison Patton | Published: October 2, 2012
By Alison Patton | Published: May 3, 2012
(photo by Anant N S) You never know where you’re going to get the next piece of wisdom. Yesterday my son and I were at Trader Joe’s grocery store, enjoying a quick morning chat with a store employee named Wendy who runs the sample station. Wendy is one of those persons who knows how to [...]
By Alison Patton | Published: March 1, 2012
I just finished The Happiness Project, a book by Gretchen Rubin based on her year-long project to make her life happier. It was a good read with tips I’m going to integrate into my own life. When this book came out in 2009, book clubs started their own happiness projects based on Rubin’s formula. As [...]
By Alison Patton | Published: January 3, 2012
Very inspirational and thought-provoking – a good way to start a new year with a new vision.
By Alison Patton | Published: November 12, 2011
(This blog post ran in 2010. I’m posting it again this holiday season due to positive feedback from readers last year. If this is your first holiday season separated/ divorced, don’t lose heart. You can do it! Read on!) The child in me will always love the holidays. I take such pleasure in traditions–hanging our [...]
By Alison Patton | Published: June 20, 2011
The Divorce Doc will be taking a sabbatical! Yes, after a wonderful year and a half of blogging and writing, I am taking a leave to spend time with my family and to travel. I will be out of the country for part of the time, so please forgive any delayed response to emails and [...]